11.06.2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Non-fiction Reads On My Radar


This week's topic: Top Ten Non-fiction Reads On My Radar

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and The Bookish. Basically, you create a list tailored to the week's topic and share it with other readers by linking up at The Broke and The Bookish. You can find out more information here.

Generally speaking, I don't read a lot of nonfiction. However, I always try to read at least one nonfiction piece every once in a while. The last nonfiction I read was The Devil in the White City (review here). Before that--I can't remember--so it's time to get some lined up for the future.

Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries by Jon Ronson
A friend wants me to read this with him. I said okay before I even knew what it was about, but after doing a quick search, it actually sounds very interesting.

Bailout: An Inside Account of How Washington Abandoned Wall Street While Rescuing Wall Street by Neil Barofsky 
Yes, I know. There are a thousand and one books, documentaries, arguments, etc. on the economic bailout. But I saw this guy on some mid-morning television show giving an interview on his book and he persuaded me to jot down the title to look up later. Will I still watch the movie on Netflix about the bailout?--absolutely.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
 I am an introvert. I talk when necessary. Small talk annoys me, 9 out of 10 times. I don't need the spotlight on me at all times. This book tells me I have power--I'm going to read it.

Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness?: What it Means to Be Black Now by Toure
I personally don't believe that post-blackness will ever exist. Just like I don't believe we live in a post-racial society...However, I do think the term 'black' or 'blackness' is very fluid and diverse because Black people are a very diverse people. I'm more interested in Toure's opinion of what it means to be Black now. Most people (including Black people) have this set in stone idea of blackness, when in reality many Black Americans are living considerably different experiences that what's considered Black--you know the stereotypes.

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Hirsi Ali is such an intriguing person and so charismatic. I have to know her story. How anyone can pass on her testimonial is beyond me.

So that's it. Only five. I knew I didn't have ten because like I said, I rarely read nonfiction.
Have you read any of these yet?

2 comments:

  1. I had a goal of reading 6-10 Nonfiction books this year. I've read 11 now, but not any of these. I think it's good to mix up what you read sometimes.

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleven, wow. It's definitely good to mix things up. I think I'm going to aim for 4 next year.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete