10.01.2012

Banned 2012



It's Banned Books Week, so I thought I'd share some fun lists/facts.

The most banned and/or challenged books of 2012 in the USA:

The Color of Earth by Dong Hwa Kim
Nudity, Sex Education, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Nudity, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Offensive Language, Racism

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Anti-Ethnic, Anti-Family, Occult/Satanic, Insensitivity, Offensive Language, Violence

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Insensitivity, Nudity, Racism, Religious Viewpoint, Sexually Explicit

Gossip Girl by Cecily Van Ziegesar
Drugs, Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit

What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones
Nudity, Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Offensive Language, Racism, Sexually Explicit, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group

My Mom's Having a Baby! A Kid's Month-by-Month Guide by Dori Hillestad Butler
Nudity, Sex Education, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

ttyl, ttyn, l8r, g8r (Internet Series) by Lauren Myracle
Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to age group


...I think insensitivity is the most questionable term out of all the reasons for ban/challenge. Also, does anyone else think these reasons are sometimes exaggerated? --I think so, but that's based off the other banned books I've read.  I've only actually read a few of the books on this list. I'm very curious about The Color of Earth and The Absolutely True Diary of a  Part-Time Indian. 


No comments:

Post a Comment