8.31.2012

Book Beginnings - A Red Death



Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader


I always started sweeping on the top floor of the Magnolia Street apartments. It was a three-story pink stucco building between Ninety-first Street and Ninety-first Place, just about a mile outside of Watts Proper. Twelve Units. All occupied for that month. I had just gathered the dirt into a neat pile when I heard Mofass drive up in his new '53 Pontiac. 
It's not an attention-grabber, but knowing what Easy Rawlins went through in Devil in a Blue Dress (review here) makes you wonder why he's sweeping floors. I'm completely intrigued by his character, but I can't pinpoint why exactly. I'm halfway through this one and it's pretty good. Spying on Reds is both tricky and interesting...how does he get into these situations?  


14 comments:

  1. I like this opening because it sets the mood and lets me know where and when the book takes place. It also tells me that the narrator is a guy who sweeps floors--because he's a janitor? or maybe he owns the building? I'd turn pages to find out more.
    My beginning is from THE ROOTS OF THE OLIVE TREE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those deductions is correct.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Gruesome cover. I never read Devil in a Blue Dress, but maybe I should

    Here's my Book Beginning Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover. The artist who designed these editions had the right idea. You might like Devil in a Blue Dress...I'd be curious to know what others thought of it.

      Delete
  3. That is a pretty good beginning especially with your comments added in about the previous book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At second-glance it is a pretty good beginning.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. It's an curious way to start a book. But I like it!

    Here's my book beginning:
    http://thereadingkorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-sneak-like-beginning-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cover art! It does sound intriguing - I wish Sandy hadnt speculated. A janitor can be many other things ... maybe i should get this on my TBR ...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cover art is nice. As for the speculation...I'm guilty of doing it sometimes too.

      Delete
  6. Good beginning. I'm considering this one, but guess I should read Devil in a Blue Dress first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I think this could be a standalone book...Of course there are references to Devil in a Blue Dress, but the plot itself is different. But then again, there are a couple recurring characters and a little backstory that should probably be known before reading. Both are short novels. And good.

      Delete
  7. I went on an Easy Rawlins tear after the movie and read them all. I didn't care as much for his other series (I can't even remember the character now), but I always love the ER books.

    Thanks for posting on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. I plan on reading all the Easy Rawlins fiction as well. I think White Butterfly is the next one.
      Thanks for hosting!

      Delete