8.10.2012

Book Beginnings - Devil in a Blue Dress



Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader



I was surprised to see a white man walk into Joppy's. It's not just that he was white but he wore an off-white linen suit and shirt with a Panama straw hat and bone shoes over flashing white silk socks.
hmm....interesting. This is how I imagine a sub-par pimp from Miami to dress...he could also be a foreigner. And what's he doing at Joppy's? --I don't know. And I won't know until this weekend because I haven't officially started reading this one yet. I hear Walter Mosley is a legend, so I'm kind of excited to see what he's about.
What do we think? pimp? foreigner? other?
 

10 comments:

  1. I like that beginning. I really wonder who that man is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing. You wonder why "I" makes a point of talking about the man and you wonder who the man is and why he is wearing all white, and why "I" took the time in mentioning that he was white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get over bone shoes with stark white socks. And I'm assuming Joppy's is usually a hangout for non-white people, so he's probably not blending that well into the crowd, especially dressed the way he is...

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. He sounds a bit like a tourist, which would explain him being out of place. Also, I like the title of the book, especially because blue is usually associated with cold, which the Devil definitely isn't! XD Thanks for stopping by, I'm now following you and I hope you have a great weekend!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tourist is a good guess. I like it better than foreigner. I like the title as well...I think all of Mosley's books have good, interesting titles. And yeah, we have white man in white and a 'devil' in blue. I'm wondering how they're connected.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Maybe he is just lost. Here is my post:
    BBOF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I believe that he's lost...it's something about his attire.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. All white? But linen, sounds posh. Sounds like he's role playing a ric man ... Hmmm ...

    www.guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2012/08/friday-56-book-beginnings-last-policeman.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like it's going to be an interesting one. Hey, thanks for stopping by my book beginning, too!

    ReplyDelete