7.06.2012

Book Beginnings - 1Q84


Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader


The taxi's radio was tuned to a classical FM broadcast. Janaceks Sinfionetta--probably not the ideal music to hear in a taxi caught in traffic. The middle-aged driver didn't seem to be listening very closely, either.
I love listening to classical in the car. I probably wouldn't mind it while sitting in traffic either.The beginning may not seem like much, but I cannot put this book down! The story and characters are so peculiar (in a good way) I'm a third of the way through, which is an achievement for me since its some 900 pages long. I'll probably be reading it a little into next week as well. I really like it so far. 


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a long book. I'm also not sure what to make of the title. It makes me think of 1984 by Orwell. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    Here's my Book Beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orwell's 1984 is mentioned quite a few times in this one...it also takes place in the year 1984.

      Thanks for visiting, Chris.

      Delete
  2. Interesting cover. I admire you for tackling a 900 page book. Here is my post:
    BBF


    It is from a 200 page book. Much faster to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm reading two 900 pagers...at the same time. Mistake.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. If I was stuck in traffic I wouldn't mind classical music. Good beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this book is all the rage, but what a door stop! I may start with some of his earlier books, which have been sitting on my TBR shelf for a long time now.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings on Fridays. I'd like to drum up some more participants, and one idea I had was this: if you are on Twitter, please tweet a link to your post using the has tag #BookBeginnings. Maybe in connection with #FridayReads, if you participate in that twitter event. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete