5.25.2012

Book Beginnings - The Red Rooster


Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader




Book Beginning (Prologue):
June 2, 1940
Among the throngs fleeing the port at Dunkirk was a young woman from Spain, seventeen years old, who wanted to return to the front lines. She had passage across the Channel, papers paid for with a man's life and a small fortune in twenty franc notes, and a cousin waiting in London. She kicked off her shoes, gathered her dress and prepared to jump overboard. 

 My thoughts:

I think this is a great opener and the rest of the prologue paints a very chaotic picture. At this moment, I like how the story is beginning to unfold. What do you think?



12 comments:

  1. Oh, I like it...now I want to curl up, gather the book close to me, and sip tea.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It might just be one of those books. I'm certainly going to dedicate a good portion of the afternoon/evening reading it on my backyard swing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. An interesting time and an interesting start to a story. Here is my post: Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the opening of this book. It's really great. I love reading books set during WW2...so many different viewpoints and stories.

    Here's my Friday Meme Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's one of the better beginnings I've read. I'm hoping the rest of the book is as intriguing. So far it has been.

      I haven't read many books with WWI or WWII settings...I've read a few with Civil War settings. I may be avoiding them subconsciously.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Ooh...a World War II book! One of my favorite time periods. Did you pick it simply because it has "red" (for the challenge)--or is WWII one of your interests too?

    Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked it for many reasons I guess...Definitely because red was in the title. I like the cover and I'd never heard of it before and it received pretty good ratings.

      I can't say that World War II is one of my favorite time periods. I don't read up on it (fiction or non-fiction) that much. But I'm not opposed to it either. Variety is the spice of life?

      Delete
  5. Makes me curious why she wants to return to the front lines. I wouldn't think that a desirable place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think that either. Now that I'm a third of the way through, I can say that her motives are slightly questionable. Interesting, but questionable.

      Delete
  6. That is a terrific opening! It makes me want to read the whole story.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was great too and I'm enjoying it thus far. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete